Thursday, June 30, 2011

6/30

This one is a bit better... or I like it better, anyway. Started with a striped piece of tissue paper saved from the garbage at someone's b'day party... then I used a new pebbled stencil I bought the other day at Creative Quest, then matte medium, three shades of blue and a dollop of forest green and I filled the sea and then the sky with deep blues and gray.
I used some of that painted paper for the planets and the scary fish, painted the little boat bright red with bright orange flashes...

I was thinking about all the things that lie under the surface of every single person... things that hang about ready to snap your legs off. They are there... But then there are planets and stars, whole worlds and endless space. And there is silence, too. So often I am in that boat, not moving... and I sense the danger... but I know I have one or two meager resources.

A friend of mine sent a YouTube video to my Facebook acct. It was political in nature and spoke of the growing chasm between the 1% of have's in this country and all the rest... one of the comments was we were powerless in this... and I do not accept that. We have our meager resources. We can love our neighbor as ourselves. We can plant a garden. We can say quietly, but with conviction what we believe. We can inform others. If we would just quit all the belly-aching and finger-pointing and become agents of positive change...

and we can do it from our boats, with just an oar and a destination in mind. Yes, the bad things are there. Evil is real... but we have power.

No comments:

Post a Comment