Monday, July 11, 2011

Wet!

It rained last night. I woke when it began... rolls of thunder, but no wind... and then the rainfall... slow and steady on my roof... around 4:30 I woke and pulled my baby corn under the eves, and fell back into bed. I have missed rain.

This morning, around 7, I checked the corn again. Yesterday it had just begun to sprout... but today it seems to have an agenda, and will be placed in the garden, with a prayer that the doggone birds leave it be to grow and grow.

The nursery did not have the little peat-moss pots for seedlings, but think these paper egg cartons will work just the same. I cut the bottoms before I seeded so the little roots can escape with ease.

Yesterday, the sermon at church was about the sower and the seed, and as I listened I thought of my garden and the birds that got my first corn seeds and thought not only does the sower throw the seed everywhere, he seeds again and again and again. Farmers are dreamers and gamblers... much like God.
But back to wet... don't you love it? The sidewalk by my gate is still glossy with rainwater
There are even little foamy bubbles where the rain ran off the roof and puddles near the hose...
Everything is so green and lush with this couple hours of rain... the thirsty desert quickly takes advantage of the gifts it is given...
and my corn! I was told once when I still lived in Illinois, that in July you could hear the corn grow if you listened... look at these guys.. they need deeper dirt soon.

High today supposed to be 98. It will be miserably humid... but 98. In July. In Phoenix,AZ. Something is up with the climate.

No comments:

Post a Comment