Wednesday, July 13, 2011

felting in July

Nuno felting... wet felting... hand felting... whatever you want to call it. That's what I have been working on the last couple days...
It has been my stay-out-of-the-sun strategy... and it keeps my mind from stressing over the adult art journal class I am teaching.
I just place the fibers, layer the fibers, add this'n'that from my scrap bag, swirl in some contrast color, place a bit of yarn and wet, soap, rub, roll, rinse, squeeze and hang to dry....
This particular wool roving really worked well. So well I am going to go buy some more. It felted easily and yet is super soft to the feel.... not merino, but with the softness of merino.
and then this... the wool is a bit scratchier... but I love the colors. I tore up some burn-out silk panels in between the layers of roving... and then tossed in handfuls from my scrap bag, added swirls of color and some yarn bits for accent... same method as above
wet, soap, rub, roll, squeeze and toss over a door to dry....
sounds so easy doesn't it?... and it is in some respects... but I am improving, so there must be a skill set involved....

I'm thinking of using my Joanne's 50% coupon in the next couple days to get a free-form stitch attachment (not what it is called exactly) and then I will try machine stitching on some of the design.

plus it is a bit aerobic and I notice when I do a week of this my arms become toned.... reason enough, don't you think?

1 comment: