Wednesday, June 23, 2010

June 23

Okay, so you've heard of found art, but how about found-art-supplies? Younger Daughter took me on a bulk trash foray and in one pile I saw this roll of papers... as it turned out mostly hand made, hand dyed stuff... sheets of it. It was only after I got it home and did a preliminary unroll that I had any idea what a find this was.
It took me a week or more to sort and organize my overflowing paper stash... to bring some order to what had me immobilized. What was in piles and six/seven plastic tubs to be redistributed into now four tubes organized by type and color. Just touching all this paper, looking at it, pushing it around, got my creative juices flowing... but then life filled up with to-do lists and side trips and the juices dripped, dripped, dripped until there was only a thimbleful left. Still, yesterday, because it was too hot to go out I pulled out some papers, punched some holes, cut some board, picked through my found-art-supply stash and tried out my new stamp... and viola! a book is born.
6x81/2... The spine is black leather(yes, I have a stash of that, too)... and while it is glued it is also tacked with waxed linen. Green dyed rice paper, full of straw and fiber wrap the cover. The stamp is on a separate piece of mat board, colorized and trimmed in gold... really lovely.
The tea stain colored pages are heavy stock... 80 pounds? maybe more... and have a nice texture for pencil or charcoal... maybe even watercolor. They are sewn in using the same waxed linen used to tack the spine.
I love how this book feels in my hand... substantial but compact... ready to be filled up... but not today. Today I'll be working on the next book. See, when I finally begin the process takes me by the hand and says "come."

No comments:

Post a Comment