Friday, December 31, 2010

New Years Eve

I've been feeling a little bit pulled... the holidays, while wonderfully spent with my Phoenix family had some missing pieces... and leading up to them I completely set a lot of myself to the side while I prepared. Sister Liz would say I told my Soul to hold on, there, until I had time. She told me once the Soul will only wait so long before it begins to act up, trying to get your attention. Anyway, by December 26, I felt the long face of too much this and not enough that settling in... so I rummaged about and pulled out my journal which has been sitting forgotten for a few weeks and sketched a minute with pencil then began to block out negative space.
I like the whole cosmic idea of negative space... that stuff that lies behind... the darkness, the holy ground where all growth begins. We are in the dark part of the year, just turned the corner, but it will take weeks before the sun seems to catch up with the reality that the winter will be vanquished... but winter has it's place, as does darkness... and so I tried to concentrate at first just on what lay behind, I tried to ignore the stuff on the surface. I tried to put the uncertainties, the decisions I think I need to make now, the to-do list aside and spend a little time not trying to take care of things that will take care of themselves.
I played a little with the positive, and put this floating head in, but mostly I added color and shine, adding depth to what was behind.

I heard the words, come out, come out, wherever you are, playing in my head and put them running up a couple of the stems. I added thorns and texture to the bramble and painted in the head a bit more, then muted her with a blue wash.


And last I hid her behind tissue paper leaves... she isn't ready to come out just yet. She needs the dark and values the solitude... anyway, it's cold out there, and she doesn't have any answers yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment