Thursday, July 1, 2010

erupting

I did clean my kitchen this morning... the whole counter, cleaned off every paper, every scrap, wiped it down... now? Full again. I've made two little books today and planned another. Yesterday, the day before, full, full with family and appointments, no time for books... but I have been thinking about them... I'm on fire... that, and it is just too darned hot to go outside.... 89 was the low today. UGH! But, never mind, look at this...
I realize as I post this picture that I've done a couple other things to the book... like add a teeny bit of gold leaf to the beetles and a black ribbon along the blue spine cover. The book is smaller than my others, 41/2 by 6 with nicely textures gray paper inside.
I added end sheets to the front and the back, with four signatures of 5 sheets each... sooo the book is 80??? pages long. Honestly the math is beyond me... one of these days I need to just count the pages.
The next book I made today was this one. Smaller still, it measures 31/2 x41/2. I struggled a bit with the cover, not knowing what to do and finally settled for this simple dot-line stamp that works well with the cover paper. The spine is fabric with black ribbon trim.


This book has lots of pages.... 4 signatures of 8 papers each, some of the paper is creamy white, some is minty green... all of it has a nice tooth. It would make a nice mini-journal to tuck inside your bag.


The back view.

AND this is my next project... my sister called today and when I told her I was making books (and explained what "making books" meant) she told me she wanted a journal to keep track of her garden and herbs.
As I went through my various stashes of paper and texture this is what I came up with... Creamy paper with little organic flecks in it, golden hued rice paper filled with straw and grasses for the cover, this stained little lace doily for the spine and the funky bird-angel... ooo, I can't wait to get started. Will probably put the pages together tonight... tomorrow I may get nothing done here, as it is a full day again... but by the end of the day on Saturday this journal will be done.
Oh, and I sold a journal yesterday! So I am no longer retired... I'm a working artist.
okay, enough of this... I am getting hungry and need to clean my kitchen counter off again so I can eat.




No comments:

Post a Comment