Thursday, March 10, 2011

5 bags

I have made it through almost every recycled sweater I have on hand... the only one left is a white cable... beautiful and soft... think it might like being something other than a bag. Some of these bags were beginning to go south and I just let go a little more and did some experimenting and brought them back....
I wore this sweater for years and finally decided it was too short-too tight and so I sacrificed it to the hot water and the heavy duty load and it has been re-born as this nifty maroon felted wool bag. 15 inches wide and 9 deep, this bag has all the room it needs to stash all your things.... and a front pocket, too. (My dad, and honestly, who made him an authority on woman's bags, says all purses should have pockets) So here is a pocket for my dad. Oh, and the "flower" safety pinned on so it can be moved or removed for laundering.
This one was a Goodwill find... an XXL men's size... and it shrunk to this beautiful dense fabric that will stands up to anything you'd want to toss into it. The flower with the asymmetric button center softens the sporty stripes. It measures 15 deep and 10 wide. No pocket, sorry dad.

oh, here is a close up of one of my flowers.... the flowers change everything.

and here is the whole bag... another stripe. I was worried this one would not work as a bag, but I wore it out the other day and had positive comments and the girl at the hardware store told me I ought to sell them.... 10 deep, 13 wide. The stripes are navy, yellow and creamy white

and this one, another Goodwill, half price sale find. The color has some definite cranberry tones but there is a tiny bit of bright orange in the heathered yarn. this one felted quite densely.... something I really like in a bag. The pocket has been machine stitched and then had sewn onto the bag body. The flower is a combo of left over sweater scraps, felted wool, some orange dyed chiffon and a novelty button. Measurements: 9 high, 12 wide.
and I know you have already seen this one, but I couldn't help but include it again.... 10 high, 13 wide.
I have put the sewing machine away, saved every minuscule bit of scrap(a problem, I know), and cleaned off my dining room table and kitchen bar... Shortly the paper will be hauled out, the board and the glue, the waxed linen and it will be bookmaking time. I'll show you those in a couple of days.
Oh, and it is 85 here. Really a bit too warm, but must admit I am loving it.




No comments:

Post a Comment